CURP Welcomes First-Ever Summer Cohort
We recently welcomed our first-ever summer (and third overall) CURP cohort. CURP, the CDS Undergraduate Research Program, is a research mentorship program that provides talented students with the opportunity to work in-depth with faculty who advise, encourage, and support them while learning alongside a community of their peers. CDS initially launched the program in spring 2021 in collaboration with the National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP).
Topics of research that the summer cohort will work on include the following:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Approaches to Understand Autoimmunity
- Discrimination in Policing
- Reconstructing audio signals from useful representations
- On the Inductive Bias of Gradient Descent and Representation Geometry
- Learning to Recommend Academic Articles
- Automated public health decision tree
- Teaching and learning from others in human and machines
“CURP has provided me with the unique opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of outstanding faculty,” says spring 2021 CURP scholar John Como. “Not only have I learned about the research topic but have also learned how to become a stronger researcher for the future.”
We are particularly grateful to our current CURP sponsor and founding partner Capital One.
By Ashley C. McDonald